Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Ostrich Method is an Epic Fail for Finances and Bankruptcy

            All of us are subject to what I call the "ostrich method"from time to time in our lives.  What I mean is that we all have something that we just don't like to think about or talk about.  For me, it's when anything happens to my car.  For those of you who read this blog you have probably already figured out that I am not obsessed with cars, so it's not that I am the one who parks in the furthest spot from the grocery store to make sure that no one hits it while I am shopping.  Quite the opposite.  I try to spend as little money as possible on cars.  When my car requires a repair it makes me crazy.  I attempt to ignore the problem, complain to the person at the repair shop about how expensive the repair is, etc.  The bottom line is I try to avoid and/or ignore car problems, which is what I call the ostrich method.

            At Halcomb Singler we meet with people using the ostrich method on an almost daily basis, and it gives us great job to help people stop avoiding their problems and start figuring out how to solve them.  Whether a lawsuit has been filed against someone, mounting debts are causing lots of stress or medical bills are mounting after a car accident that wasn't that person's fault.  No one wants to deal with getting sued over a bill or even not being able to pay a bill.  I get that.  But I can also say with certainty that problems don't solve themselves and unfortunately they typically don't go away if you ignore them long enough either.  Actually, they often get worse.  That unpaid bill can turn into a lawsuit or that lawsuit can turn into a garnishment, etc.

            When I meet with people considering bankruptcy I let them tell me the story of how they came to need to consider bankruptcy.  In my experience people want to tell me what happened.....their story.  And while I would in no way ask someone to tell me that story if they were not comfortable in doing so, it appears to me through my experience that most people like to tell me what they have been through and I am happy to listen.  And once they have told me that story we start talking about solving the problems. I see that appointment as a way to figure out how to move forward.  How to stop using the ostrich method that we all know will not work and how to stop burying one's head in the sand and find solutions.  As with every problem that we face in life, it is much harder to think about the problem than it is to execute a plan to solve it.  Fixing a financial problems allows people to enjoy their lives and think about something other than financial issues for a change.

           I meet with those who live in the Indianapolis area as well as Noblesville, Fishers, Zionsville, Carmel, Tipton, Kokomo, Crawfordsville and all of the cities in between.  If you would like to schedule a free initial consultation to discuss bankruptcy options call Halcomb Singler at 317-575-8222 or click here and we will be in touch to schedule an appointment.

Halcomb Singler, LLP, is a debt relief agency.  It helps people file for bankruptcy under the bankruptcy code.  No attorney-client relationship with the firm of Halcomb Singler, LLP, is created through this blog. Also, please note that Erika Singler is an attorney licensed in Indiana and does not seek to practice law in any jurisdiction in which they are not properly authorized to do so.  The information contained in this blog is general in nature and should not be relied upon for the circumstances of any individual(s) or businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment