Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Embarrassed to File Bankruptcy? Your Lawyer Won't Judge.

              Happy New Year!  Unfortunately, some Hoosiers find themselves in a financial mess at the beginning of 2013 and are wondering whether bankruptcy could be an option that would solve the financial mess.  In my experience, what holds many people back from contacting a bankruptcy lawyer is that they are embarrassed and that they are afraid of the costs associated with bankruptcy.  In my opinion neither of these concerns should keep someone from at least speaking with a bankruptcy attorney...and I'll tell you why.

              First lets address the embarrassment issue.  I understand that it is very difficult to waive the debt "white flag" and to admit to yourself that you can no longer pay the credit card, medical bills and/or mortgage payment.  However, please don't let that stop you from getting information.  I think most bankruptcy attorneys are similar to myself in that we are not there to judge your debt...we are there to let you tell your story (which I think is very healing for people) and to see whether or not bankruptcy could help.  I think most of the people who come to my office, Halcomb Singler, LLP, believe that they have the most debt of any person I have ever met and that I will not be able to believe their financial mess.  The truth is that I while I certainly will need to know the approximate amount of debt that a person has in order to properly advise them about bankruptcy, that I talk to people about debt all day long.  I have no idea of all of the bankruptcy petitions I have filed for clients which client had the most amount of debt.  I imagine that me hearing about debt is similar to a doctor seeing a person naked....it just isn't that big of a deal.

              I hope that people struggling with debt understand that I, and I assume just about every other bankruptcy attorney in Indiana and in this country, is there to try to help you and not to judge your debt.  This does not mean that I won't give you suggestions regarding decreasing your living expenses or how you can come out of bankruptcy in a position to succeed financially, but what it does mean is that I am much more focused on solving the problem rather than issuing blame over how it was incurred.

              Understandably, I think many people also hesitate to contact a bankruptcy lawyer because they don't have any money.  As a result, they are worried that they won't be able to pay a bankruptcy lawyer.  I, like most bankruptcy lawyers I know in Indiana, do not charge for an initial consultation for someone who is considering bankruptcy.  Therefore, if a person is not a good fit for bankruptcy they can simply hear what I have to say and go home after I have explained bankruptcy and answered their questions about bankruptcy.  If, after listening to a potential bankruptcy client's story, I believe they are a good candidate for bankruptcy I will explain the fees involved in filing bankruptcy and explain how most people who are going to file for bankruptcy pay for these fees.  I also typically set a person who has decided they would like to file for bankruptcy up on a payment plan.  The payment plan typically does not have any timeline, such as that it must be paid in 3 months, but that the client can pay at his or her own pace and once the fees are paid we will file the petition.

               At this point I hope I have put any person at ease who was considering contacting a bankruptcy attorney, but feared embarrassment or fees.  If you are considering bankruptcy and would like to set up an appointment to meet with me at my Carmel, Indiana office to discuss your situation call my office at (317) 575-8222 or click here and someone we will contact you for a convenient appointment time.

Halcomb Singler, LLP, is a debt relief agency.  It helps people file for bankruptcy under the bankruptcy code.  No attorney-client relationship with the firm of Halcomb Singler, LLP, is created through this blog. Also, please note that Erika Singler is an attorney licensed in Indiana and does not seek to practice law in any jurisdiction in which they are not properly authorized to do so.  The information contained in this blog is general in nature and should not be relied upon for the circumstances of any individual(s) or businesses. 

10 comments:

  1. Hello! Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about bankruptcy attorney. I'm glad to stop by your site and know more about bankruptcy attorney.
    The Statute of Bankrupts of 1542 was the first statute under English law dealing with bankruptcy or insolvency. Bankruptcy is also documented in East Asia. According to al-Maqrizi, the Yassa of Genghis Khan contained a provision that mandated the death penalty for anyone who became bankrupt three times.
    We help you file for bankruptcy in order to stop and prevent foreclosure. bankruptcy attorney suffolk county, ny

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is some really good information. Thanks for sharing it! We've been trying to figure out the process of bankruptcy in Edmonton. Are the laws of bankruptcy different state by state?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have to be wise in choosing which company is the best in fixing bankruptcy issue. We must do everything to avoid this kind of issue in our lives. Our business should also be free from this issue because we can lose everything if we don't do anything.

    Milwaukee Bankruptcy Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good website! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes it is. I am wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which may do the trick? Have a great day! lemon law attorney in la

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. DIY Legal Prep

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the blog post buddy! Keep them coming... apersonalinjurylawyer.net

    ReplyDelete
  7. I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!. auto pdf

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future... goldberg persky & white michigan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! Kanadan viisumi

    ReplyDelete