Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What Facebook Taught Me About Advising Bankruptcy Clients

       A few days ago I was horrified with what I saw after signing into Facebook.  I didn’t understand why I needed a story of the day or why my friend status updates were in the corner of the page.  I guess I really felt like my life is complicated enough as it is and that I really didn’t need Facebook to be complicated.  After all, to me Facebook is simply a way to keep up with friends who I don’t have time to speak with as often as I would like and also a way to see what people are doing I will probably never speak to again.  Since that day earlier this week I haven’t logged into Facebook again (ok…I have looked at it on my phone…but my phone doesn’t show all of the Facebook changes.) 

       If you are still reading at this point you must be wondering what this could possibly have to do with how I advise Bankruptcy clients at Halcomb Singler, LLP.  After all, what could a lawyer glean from Facebook about advising clients?  Certainly there is no bankruptcy law conversation on Facebook.

       Over the years I have learned that knowing Indiana bankruptcy law is only about half of what I need to know in order to best advise my bankruptcy clients.  I need to be available to advise bankruptcy clients not only about money management, but also about how to rent after bankruptcy, how to handle family issues in bankruptcy and how to hold their heads up high in spite of the fact that they need to file bankruptcy. 

      The reason that only about half of what I need to know to best advise bankruptcy clients is that when a person comes to my office to discuss whether bankruptcy would help his or her financial situation that person feels like their entire life is completely complicated and overwhelming.  In many cases my clients just don’t want to deal with their financial situation by the time they call my office.  Although I would never say that something as trivial as changes on Facebook could be compared to the feelings of those who need to file bankruptcy, after seeing the Facebook changes I just really didn’t want to deal with it anymore and have been avoiding Facebook the same way that some of my clients avoid their financial difficulties. 

       I truly enjoy when people at the end of their “financial rope” come to see me to discuss their options.  Sometimes I recommend that they file bankruptcy and sometimes I don’t.  But I am typically able to help each person come up with a plan on how to attack their financial difficulties prior to them leaving my office.  Since there is no charge for an initial consultation, there is really no down side to setting up an appointment in the event you believe it may be necessary for you to file bankruptcy.  If you live in Indianapolis, Carmel, Noblesville, Fishers, Zionsville, Tipton or Kokomo and are interested in whether you could benefit from bankruptcy call my office at 317-575-8222 or click here to fill out our form and we will contact you.

Halcomb Singler, LLP, is a debt relief agency.  It helps people file for bankruptcy under the bankruptcy code.  No attorney-client relationship with the firm of Halcomb Singler, LLP, is created through this blog. Also, please note that Erika Singler is an attorney licensed in Indiana and does not seek to practice law in any jurisdiction in which they are not properly authorized to do so.  The information contained in this blog is general in nature and should not be relied upon for the circumstances of any individual(s) or businesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment